Wednesday, February 8, 2012

How much time and money will it cost to travel through different countries of Central America by bus?

I was planning to start at Panana and work my way up. I have one month vacation and wanted to get a taste of all of Central America, but wasn't quite sure if thats possible factoring in the amount of time and money it will take me to travel to each country by bus. I appreciate anyone that can help me and give me some advice. Thank you!!!!!!How much time and money will it cost to travel through different countries of Central America by bus?I wanted to fly from California to San Jose, Costa Rica. It would have cost $700.00 us. Instead I took a bus all the way ...and it cost more.

Avoid El Salvador. I went through San Salvador just after their big earthquake. It wasn't a nice scene with everybody wearing breathing masks because of the dead under the rubble.

It's hard to find your way around. 'All' the streets have no street names. - Not even on the curbs. (Some cities and towns have their street names on the cement curbs)

The second biggest city ...I think it's called Santa Anna. The people were really nice there.

You can get around it. Nicaragua to Honduras to Guatemala. - Saves all the paperwork. And money.How much time and money will it cost to travel through different countries of Central America by bus?I have not done this, nor would I do all countries en-route; there are some, where travel at this time is not a good idea. Mexico tops the list IMHO.

Bus is usually very cheap - I know this from Costa Rica and Nicaragua and assume it's the same in most of the other countries.

To really see something, in four weeks I would only tackle Panama, Costa Rica and Nicaragua - allowing 10 days for each. This will give you a taste and you will just scratch the surface. We've been many times to CR and still find 'new' (to us) places.

Considering money, if you live and eat like the locals, US 1,500.- should do it, more if you have more expensive tastes. Take local currency for starters, then pick up as you need from ATMs - the network is pretty good. Avoid paying in US, you never get the correct exchange............ (except in Panama, where it's 1:1)



A good forum for more info: http://www.tripadvisor.com/
  • portuguese translator
  • map of idaho
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment