Sunday, February 12, 2012

What is a good age for a baby to travel by air with his mother?

All my family lives across the country, and they haven't been able to see him. He's 3 months right now, and I'm just trying to plan for a trip before he's not a baby anymore. What is a good baby age for air travel in your experience? And any helpful tips would be appreciated.What is a good age for a baby to travel by air with his mother?I'm a flight attendant for a major US carrier and although I am not a parent as of yet, I thought I would give you a few tips on what i've seen while at work from parents that have young children:



-Some aircraft are not equipped with changing tables, be prepared for that!



-Some babies are sensitive to the decent portion of the flight and ears may clog. Since they don't know to yawn like you and I to open up clogged ears, I always recommend giving a bottle to the baby. Also if the baby cries, let the baby cry because (unfortunatley) that also helps.



-I get parents that want hot water to mix formula with and the only hot water onboard the aircraft that we can provide is potable water. It is not in anyway purified and I don't recomend it. The only purified water we have is the bottled water and that is about room tempurature.



-Maybe request and aisle seat so you can have easy access to get up and move about the cabin as necessary or retrieve items from the overhead bin.



I see children of all ages from newborn all the way up to 60 years old (because as you know adults can act like children as well!) and there is usually no problem with age. But consult with your doctor to see if your baby is healthy enough to endure traveling on an aircraft.



Hope this helps!What is a good age for a baby to travel by air with his mother?My little sister was already 1 years old when we took her on a plane. If its a long flight your goal is to keep him WIDE awake for the first half and than really try your best to get him to sleep for the second half. Try and keep him really busy with other stuff. The moment you anger him is the moment he will begin crying and most likely will not stop, KEEP HIM BUSY!



And lastly, i think its safe to say after 2 or 3 months your child will be fine as their typmanum(ear drum) and eustaschian tubes will be developed enough to handle pressure changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment