Sunday, February 5, 2012

How to become a corporate travel manager?

I am in college right now working on a Business Admin. Degree. I would like to one day become a Corporate Travel Manager. Can I get to that right out of college? Or do I have to become a Corporate Travel Agent first and work my way up?How to become a corporate travel manager?The road to a career in corporate travel management is probably not via a travel agent role. I must also state that this path has and will continue to provide many qualified corporate travel managers, but because the role of a corporate travel manager has evolved into more of a procurement position, that is the path I would recommend.



To get there, I would first research the structure of corporations and their respective functions. Understand what it is procurement and travel management. Contact local associations like NBTA (National Business Travel Association) or ACTE (Association of Corporate Travel Executives). Then understand the different facets of the industry, from travel agencies, to airlines, hotels, car rental, technology and specialized companies.



My Company, Topaz International (www.etopaz.com) specializes in auditing for this industry. I am also working on an ebook that may help paint a picture for you of corporate travel management - I just need to sit down and write it!



But I must share that you are off on the right foot with your studies in college focused on business. Obtaining that foundation will assist you greatly with your future in this industry. Feel free to check out my website and contact me if you have further questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment